Hiccups are brief involuntary contractions of the diaphragm.
As the muscle contracts, the hole between the vocal chords slams to stop the flow of air, which gives rise to a characteristic sound.
Hiccups are not dangerous and are often short-lived (10-15 minutes), but are annoying in order, so there are many ways to combat it.
Some are scientifically understandable, others are very strange.
Hiccup – where is she from?
Hiccups irritate the nerves, which extend from the neck to the chest. It is believed that the hiccup is a reflex to protect against choking.
1. Hasty food. A person can swallow air together with food, which causes hiccups.
2. Smoking or chewing gum. This can also cause a person to swallow air.
3. Too much food (especially greasy) or liquid (soda, alcohol, mineral water with gas). The stomach stretches and irritates the diaphragm.
4. Stroke or swelling of the brain, some chronic physical illnesses (eg, kidney failure); head trauma, meningitis, encephalitis.
5. Disruption of the vagus or diaphragmatic nerve.
6. Problems with the liver, including swelling, infection, or lesions can cause irritation of the diaphragm.
7. Some medicines can cause acid to be released from the stomach, which leads to hiccups. Most benzodiazepines, including diazepam, alprazolam and lorazepam, as well as barbiturates, opioid analgesics, corticosteroids, anesthesia or drugs for chemotherapy can cause it.
8. A child of up to a year can hiccup because of crying or coughing. Sometimes children with gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) may be prone to hiccups.
9. Anxiety and stress.
Hiccups are rarely a cause for concern, but if it becomes frequent and persistent (lasting more than 3 hours), if it interferes with sleep, food, causes belching or vomiting, is accompanied by abdominal pain, shortness of breath, difficulty swallowing, you need to seek medical help.
How to get rid of hiccups quickly: traditional methods
There are many known ways to get rid of hiccups quickly, but mostly they are based on personal experience. Their effectiveness is not confirmed by any scientific research.
1. Methods based on the control of breathing:
– hold your breath, breathe very quickly, deep or breathe in a paper bag;
– Raise your hands up and breathe deeply;
– cause sneezing (for example, sniffing peppers);
– use a special technique – reception Valsalva: take a deep breath, and then, holding the air inside, strain the muscles for 10-15 seconds;
– pull your knees to your chest, lean forward and push your chest.
2. Drinking as a method of stopping hiccups:
– you need to clamp your nose and plug your ears, and then drink a few sips of water. Naturally, it is problematic to turn it alone;
– to throw back his head, inhale and count to ten, then exhale sharply and drink water;
– drink ice water or gnaw the ice.
3. To stop hiccupping, some are advised to eat something, for example:
– eat a spoonful of sugar;
– bite a lemon or something no less sour;
– try mustard, pepper or anything sharp;
– slowly eat a piece of stale bread.
All these methods are ultimately based on changes in breathing. This is necessary in order to force the brain to forget about the irritation of the nerve endings of the diaphragm.
4. Another group of methods – a variety of stimulation of the tongue and nasopharynx:
– massage your thumb with the sky;
– grab the tongue with your fingers and gently pull it;
– touch the root of the tongue (carefully, this can cause a vomitive reflex);
– quickly and loudly several times to say the patter: “Hiccup, hiccup, go to Fedot, from Fedot to Jacob, from Jacob to everyone!”
5. Distractive actions based on light pain:
– tingle or clap on the skin;
– massage your fingers and wrists, lying on your back with your hands up;
– attach the thumb pad to the little finger.
Some people are helped by sedatives: valocordin, corvalol or regular chamomile tea.
How to get rid of hiccups quickly: the original ways
Many people have their own recipes from this scourge. For example, usual tickling, fright, or even a mustard plaster on the neck. They can also be classified as methods based on changes in breathing or on distraction, there is nothing strange in the fact that they work. Some recipes are really original and puzzling.
1. Guide the knife with the point to the bridge of the nose. It is necessary for a person to look at him without blinking for a few seconds.
2. Tie a red string on the forehead. This strange method was in progress in medieval Spain.
3. The Shnobel Prize for 2006 went to a group of American and Israeli researchers who found out how to get rid of hiccups quickly. The secret is simple – a massage of the rectum. On the assurances of the luminaries from medicine, it is enough to do this within 30 seconds and the hiccup will pass.
If you can not get rid of hiccups quickly – what should I do?
If the hiccup does not go away within 3 hours, short bouts of hiccups are repeated often for several days, it is necessary to see a doctor. If the cause is a disease, advice on how quickly to get rid of hiccups will not work until you cure it.
To help with obsessive hiccup, on the recommendation of a doctor, various medications can be used:
1. Antidepressants, neuroleptics and anticonvulsants can weaken the muscles of the diaphragm and stop hiccups.
2. Drugs that help with stomach problems. When GERD is antacid, with a full stomach – drugs that stimulate it (for example, metoclopramide).
3. Ketamine (an intravenous anesthetic) is sometimes effective if other methods of treatment are unsuccessful.
Drug treatment is used only as a last resort and occasionally, until the cause of hiccups is eliminated.
Sometimes for help with hiccough alternative methods are used – acupuncture or hypnotherapy.